Moong dal- 1/2 cup
Asafoetida- 1/4 tsp
Green chillies- 3 cut into half
Water- 2 1/2 cups
Turmeric powder- 1/3 tsp
Red chilli powder- 1/3 tsp
Lemon juice- 1tbsp
Salt to taste
Oil- 1 tsp
Finely chopped garlic- 1 tsp
Finely chopped onions- 1 1/2 tbsp
Cumin seeds- 1/2 tsp
Fenugreek seeds- 1/3 tsp
Mustard seeds- 1/3 tsp
Red chillies- 3 cut into pieces
Curry leaves- 2 springs
- Soak moong dal in water for half an hour. Wash soaked dal and add asafoetida, green chillies, turmeric powder and 2.5 cups of water.
- Pressure cook for 3 whistles and switch off the flame.
- When the pressure settles down on its own, open the lid and check the dal.
- The lentils should be cooked well and softened. Lightly mash the lentils and keep aside.
- Dal should be semi thick. Adjust water.
- For tempering, take a kadai and heat ghee and oil. Add finely chopped garlic. Fry for 30 seconds. Add onions and fry for one minute.
- Add cumin seeds, fenugreek seeds, mustard seeds and saute them until they become fragrant.
- Add red chilles and curry leaves. Fry for a minute and add the boiled dal to the tempering .
- Add 1/4 cup of water and lime juice. Boil the dal on low flame till it thickens a bit. Keep on stirring the dal at regular intervals so that it does not stick to the bottom of the pan.
- Sprinkle red chilli powder before serving.
- Goes well with rice and dal .