Raw white rice -1 cup
Urad dal (black gram dal,minapappu) -1 cup
Poha(beaten rice ,atukulu) -1 cup
Channa dal -1 1/2 tbsp
Fenugreek seeds -1 tsp
Salt to taste
Finely chopped onions -1/3 cup
Finely chopped green chilles -2 tbsp
Karam podi for sprinkling
Oil -3 tbsp
- Wash white rice, urad dal, channa dal and fenugreek seeds four times in water.
- Wask poha separately two times in water.
- Soak rice urad dal, channa dal and fenugreek seeds for 5-6 hours in a bowl. Also soak poha separately for 5 hours in another bowl.
- In a wet grinder or a large jar, add soaked dal, rice, channa dal, fenugreek seeds and add 1 cup of water then grind for a minute.
- Now add soaked poha and half cup of water and grind until the batter is smooth.
- Transfer the batter into a large container and cover to ferment it for 8hours or overnight.
- Just before preparing uthappams add salt and mix well.
- Ensure that the consistency of the batter be like dosa batter that makes uthappam fluffy and crispy.
- Preheat a non stick tawa or griddle and spread a tea spoon of oil over it.
- Pour a laddle full of batter and spread it thicker than a dosa. Also keep the flame in medium heat so that it’s well cooked inside.
- Sprinkle chopped onions, green chillies, gun powder evenly over the surface of the batter.
- Pour a spoon full of oil around the uthappam and cover with lid.
- Let it cook for a minute. Don’t flip the uthappam, it gets ready once it turns golden brown.
Remove and serve hot with chutney and sambar.
We can add grated carrot, chopped tomatoes, chopped coriander leaves as topping.
Add sufficient water to the batter according to the required consistency.