Sesame seeds – 1/4 cup
Red chillies -10
Curry leaves – 1/4 cup
Oil – 1 tbsp
Urad dal – 1/3 cup
Chana dal – 1/2 cup
Asafoetida – 1/4 tsp
Turmeric – 1/4 tsp
Salt to taste
Red chilli powder – 2 tsp
- Heat a pan. Add sesame seeds and fry on low flame till golden brown.
- Remove the seeds from the pan and set aside on a plate to cool.
- Dry roast red chillies on the same pan for one minute and then add curry leaves. Continue to saute till they turn crisp.
- Keep it aside on the same plate .
- Add a tsp of oil and saute urad dal and chana dal till they turn golden brown. Cool it.
- Transfer all the fried ingredients to a blender. Add salt, asafoetida and turmeric powder. Grind to a coarse powder.
- Taste the powder. If you find the powder to be too spicy, avoid mixing red chilli powder. If not, add the red chilli powder and blend again.
Store in an air tight container.
Always roast on low flame.
You can also spread this powder on dosa and Idli.