This recipe has been handed down to me by my mother. Perfect for Idlis. A dollop of ghee will greatly enhance its taste.
- Coriander seeds – 1 1/2 cups
- Chana Dal – 1/4 cup
- Urad Dal – 1 tbsp
- Cumin Seeds – 1 tbsp
- Broken red Chillies – 2 cups
- Crushed Garlic – 1 cup
- Curry Leaves – 1 cup
- Tamarind – small lemon sized
- Oil for frying – 4 tbsp
- Salt to taste
- Dry roast coriander seeds until light brown. Repeat the same process with chana dal, urad dal and cumin seeds.
- Heat 1 1/2 tsp of oil and fry the broken red chillies until light brown. Let it cool.
- Repeat the same procedure with crushed garlic and continue to fry until the raw smell fades away.
- Lastly add tamarind and switch off the flame.
- Heat another 1 1/2 tsp of oil and fry curry leaves until crisp. Cool down all the ingredients.
- Start by grinding the chana dal, urad dal and cumin seeds to a coarse powder and put it aside.
- Next, grind the coriander and put it aside. Grind red chillies, curry leaves and tamarind.
- Grind the garlic.
- Now mix all the grinded ingredients together with salt.