This recipe has been handed down to me by my mother in law.
Toor dal – 1/2 cup [kandi pappu]
Spinach – 1 1/2 cups finely chopped
Onions – 2 cut into 4 pieces
Green chillies – 4 cut into two pieces
Tomatoes – 3 medium size cut into cubes
Water – 3 cups
Salt to taste
Turmeric powder – 1/4 tsp
Red chilli powder – 1/2 tsp
Lemon juice – 1 tbsp
Ghee – 1 tsp
Oil – 1 tsp
Urad dal – 1 tsp
Cumin seeds – 1 tsp
Mustard seeds – 1 tsp
Fenugreek seeds – 1 tsp
Crushed garlic – 4 pods
Broken red chilles – 6
Curry leaves – 2 springs
- Clean the spinach leaves and chop it finely. Wash them 2 to 3 times and strain.
- Wash toor dal and keep it aside. Take a pressure cooker, add dal, spinach, green chillies, tomatoes and onions.
- Add 2 1/2 cups of water. Pressure cook for 5 to 6 whistles. Let it cook until spinach and toor dal is completely soft.
- Allow it to release the pressure. Open the lid and add turmeric powder, salt and red chilli powder.
- Heat oil and ghee in a pan. Add urad dal and fry for 15 seconds. Add all the remaning talimpu ingredients one by one along with crushed garlic .
- Fry for 30 seconds. Put the cooked dal in it. Cover and cook for one minute.
- Remove cover. Adjust the consistecy of dal with remaning 1/2 cup of water and boil for 5 to 6 minutes.
- Add lemon juice and mix well. Adjust seasoning. Serve hot with boiled rice and potato chips.
You can use moong dal instead of toor dal with chukka koora.