KORRA BIYYAM PAYASAM (FOXTAIL MILLET)
This recipe has been given to me by my sister.
Korra biyyam – 1 cup
Water- 2 cups
Milk – 2 cups
Jaggery – 1 1/2 cups (grated)
Ghee – 3 tbsp (1tsp for frying nuts)
Cardamom powder – 1/4 tsp (optional )
Cashew nuts – few
Raisins – few (optional)
- Wash korralu two to three times. Pressure cook it with two cups of water on medium or low flame for 4 to 5 whistles.
- Korralu can also be cooked in a pan until the water is absorbed and is cooked thoroughly. (If cooking in a pan, you might have to add a little more water.)
- Meanwhile, take a pan and add one tsp of ghee and fry the nuts and raisins until they turn golden. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Once the pressure subsides on the cooker, open the lid and add milk. Mix well.
- Add cardamom powder. Cook on low flame for 4 to 5 minutes. Add more milk if you want the payasam to be thin.
- Turn off the heat and add jaggery, ghee, nuts and raisins. Mix well. Adjust seasoning.
- Serve hot.