Basmathi rice – 1 cup
Cumin seeds (jeera) – 1/4 tsp
Shajeera – 1/2 tsp
Cloves – 6
Cinnamon – 1 inch piece
Cardamom – 3
Bay leaf – 1
Oil – 1tbsp
Ghee – 1tbsp
Ginger garlic paste – 1 1/2 tsp
Water – 2 cups
Salt to taste
- Rinse rice with water. Add water and soak for 15 minutes. Drain it compleately in a colander.
- Heat ghee and oil in a pot. Saute bay leaf, cloves, cinnamon and cardamom until they begin to sizzle.
- Add cumin seeds and shajeera on a low flame until they get roasted well. Add ginger garlic paste and fry until raw smell goes away.
- Transfer drained rice to the pot and roast for 1 to 2 minutes. This helps to bring out the aroma.
- Pour 2 cups of water and add salt. Stir well and taste the water. It must be slightly salty.
- Bring water to a boil and cook on medium heat until the water is absorbed. Switch off the flame.
- After 5 to 6 minutes, open the lid and mix it slowly. Serve with any curry.
- Do not over mix the rice.