Rice rava – 1 cup
Chana dal – 2 tbsp (senaga pappu)
Grated fresh coconut – 3 tbsp
Water – 2 cups
Salt to taste
- Wash and soak chana dal in water for 30 minutes. Take a pan and add water. Add chana dal and bring it to a boil.
- Boil for 2-3 minutes. Add freshly grated coconut and salt. Mix well.
- Reduce the heat, add rava slowly into the boiling water, mixing well with another hand to prevent lumps.
- Cover the pan with a lid until the water evaporates completely. Make sure it doesn’t burn. Swicth off the flame.
- Leave it covered for about 15 minutes. Transfer this to a wide plate and cool.
- After 15 minutes, wet ur hands and make small balls. Sprinkle some water if rava is too hard.
- Use an idli steaming stand or any perforted plate to steam these rice balls. Place rice balls on the plate.
- Place the stand in a pressure cooker with little water to steam. Cover the pressure cooker and steam for 6-8 minutes. (Whistle not required)
Adjust water according to the rice rava you are using. If you have any doubt, add an extra half cup of water.