Basmathi rice – 1 cup
Water – 2cups
Cloves – 10
Cardamom – 6
Cinnamon – 2 inch piece
Bay leaves – 4
Thinly sliced onions – 1 medium size
Green chillies – 5 (slit)
Ginger garlic paste – 1 tbsp
Salt to taste
Ghee – 2 tbsp
Oil – 1 tsp
- Wash basmathi rice 2 to 3 times in water to remove excess starch. Soak them for 30 minutes.
- After 30 minutes, drain all the water. Heat ghee and oil in a pan. Add cloves, cinnamon, cardamom and bay leaves and saute for few seconds.
- Add sliced onions and green chillies and saute till they become transparent.
- Add ginger garlic paste and saute on medium flame till the raw smell goes away.
- Add salt and 2 cups of water. Stir well. When the water starts boiling, add drained rice and mix well. Taste the water. It must be slightly salty.
- Cook on low flame until the water is absorbed. Switch off the flame.
- After 5 to 6 minutes, open the lid and mix it slowly. Serve hot.
Ghee rice can be served along with gravy type curries.