Cooked rice – 1cup
Curd – 1 1/2 cup
Milk – 1/4 cup
Salt to taste
Oil – 1tsp
Chana dal – 1 tsp
Urad dal – 1/2 tsp
Cumin seeds – 1/4 tsp
Mustard seeds – 1tsp
Dried red chilli – 8
Curry leaves – few
Finely chopped ginger – 1 tsp
Finely chopped green chillies – 1/2 tsp
Black pepper corn – 6
Asafoetida – 1/4 tsp
Pomegranate arils – 1 to 2 tbsp optional
- With a masher, mash the cooked rice and keep it aside. Add curd and milk to the rice. Mix well and break lumps if any.
- You can either use a spoon or your hands while breaking the lumps.
- Heat oil in a pan, add chana dal and urad dal, fry for few seconds.
- Add mustard seeds, cumin seeds and black pepper corns. Once the mustard seeds start to crackle, add finely chopped ginger and green chillies .
- Fry for a few seconds and add broken red chillies and curry leaves. When the curry leaves turn crisp, add asafoetida and turn off the stove.
- Pour the talimpu over the curd rice and mix well. Add coriander leaves and salt to the curd rice, mix well. Serve cold.
The rice has to be more soft than what we cook on a daily basis.
Serve curd rice topped with few coriander leaves and pomogranate arils.
You can skip the fruit.