Rice – 1cup
Water – 3 cups
Chana dal – 1 tbsp
Urad dal – 1/2 tbsp
Mustard seeds – 1/3 tsp
Broken red chillies – 1/4 cup
Green chillies – 5 slited
Peanuts – 2 tbsp
Hand full of tamarind makes 1/4 cup juice
or tamarind paste – 2 tbsp (adjust to suit your taste)
Oil – 3 tbsp
Turmeric powder – 1/3 tsp
Crushed ginger – 1 inch pieces
Salt to taste
Mustard seeds – 1/2 tsp ( for powder )
- Wash and soak tamarind in hot water for some time. Squeeze and pass it through a filter, discard stones and pulp. Keep it aside .
- Wash and cook rice with 3 cups of water. Do not make the rice mushy.
- Cool the rice in a wide plate. In a motar pestle, crush mustard seeds into a powder.
- Heat oil in a pan. Add peanuts and fry for a minute. Add chana dal and urad dal. Fry till light golden colour.
- Then add mustard seeds, broken red chillies, green chillies, crushed ginger and curry leaves.
- Fry till the red chillies turn crisp. Add salt and tamarind juice or paste. If you are using tamarind paste add 2 to 3 tbsp of water and cook.
- Cook till the mixture thickens other wise pulihora will be very moist. It will be a thick but flowing paste.
- Remove from heat. Add the cooked tamarind mix and combine well such that its spread all over the rice.
- Finally sprinkle mustard seeds powder. Mix well. Adjust salt. Do not mix while the rice is hot.
- Another version is to replace mustard powder with a 1 tsp of roasted sesame seeds powder.