Rice – 1/2 cup
Milk – 6 to 7 cups (cows milk if making naivedyam)
Grated jaggery – 1 cup
Cow ghee – 1tsp (cows ghee if making naivedyam)
Cashewnuts and raisins – optional
Ghee for frying nuts
- Wash rice several times and soak it in enough water for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Drain and keep it aside. Pour milk to a rinsed heavy bottom pot.
- Bring it to a boil on a medium flame. To the boiling milk, add drained rice and stir.
- Stir once every few minutes. Cook the rice till it turns mushy and soft.
- Adjust the consistency of the payasam by adding more milk. Let the rice and milk bubble up after adding milk.
- Turn off the stove. Add grated Jaggery and 1 tsp of ghee mix well. Stir well until dissolved.
- Heat ghee in another pan. Fry cashew nuts till they turn light golden in colour. Add raisins. Stir till they swell and pour this into the rice payasam.
- Serve rice payasam warm or cold.