Bombay rava – 1/2 cup
Grated jaggery – 1 1/2 cup
Water – 1 1/2 cup
Cow ghee – 1/2 tsp
Oil for deep frying
Appalu is the main neivedyam for lord hanuman. It has a crunchy outer layer and soft smooth inside.
- Heat a heavy bottom pan with 1 1/2 cups of water. Add grated jaggery and ghee, boil till the jaggery melts .
- Add bombay rava slowly and keep stirring. Make sure there are no lumps.
- Cover and cook for 2 to 3 minutes. Open the lid, mix well and cook on low flame while stirring.
- Turn off the flame and allow it to cool down. The flour mixture should not be too hard or too soft.
- You should be able to make a round patty with the mixture. Heat oil in a pan for deep frying.
- Grease your palms with ghee, make small lemon sized balls and keep it side.
- Once the oil is heated up, keep it in medium flame and shape the lemon size balls by pressing with palms into round shape patties..
- Fry in oil till it becomes golden brown in colour. Fry equally on both sides .
- Once the appalu are done, place them on a tissue paper. Serve as neivedyam.
Do not over crowd the pan as they tend to stick with each other and break .