P0TLAKAYA KOBBARI KURA
Potlakaya – 1 medium size [ 2 to 2 1/2 cups]
Finely chopped onions – 2 medium size
Turmeric powder – 1/8 tsp
Salt to taste
Green chillies – 2 slit
Oil – 2 tbsp
Urad dal – 1 tsp
Mustard seeds – 1/2 tsp
Cumin seeds – 1 tsp
Mashed garlic – 3 cloves
Broken red chillies- 6 pieces
Curry leaves- few
- Potlakaya (snake gourd) has a natural whitish layer coated over them. This has to be scraped off with a knife first.
- Cut the snake gourd to 2 to 3 pieces and cut them vertically. Discard the seeds and the pith or the white pulp.
- Cut it into small pieces. Wash and boil in water for 5 to 6 minutes till it softens. Strain in a colander and keep it aside.
- Heat oil in a wide pan. Add urad dal and fry for 10 seconds, then add mustard seeds, cumin seeds and mashed garlic. Mix well.
- Then add broken red chillies and curry leaves and fry for 10 more seconds. Add onions and green chillies.
- Add salt and turmeric powder and mix well. Cook on medium flame till the onions turn soft.
- Add boiled snake gourd pieces and cook on high flame for 2 to 3 minutes. Then cook on medium flame for 6 to 7 minutes.
- Add freshly grated coconut and fry for another 6 to 7 minutes. Switch off the flame. Serve with rice.