Moong dal – 1/2 cup [pesara pappu]
Onion – 1 medium size cut into cubes
Green chilli – 2 slit
Water – 2 cups+ 1cup
Turmeric powder- 1/4 tsp
Anabakaya mukkalu – 1 cup [peel and remove pith. Cut into small cubes]
Dry red chilli powder – 1/4 tsp
Salt to taste
Oil – 1tbsp
Ghee – 1 tbsp
Mustard seeds – 1/2tsp
Cumin seeds – 1/2 tsp
Fenugreek seeds – 1/4 tsp
Dry red chilli pieces – 4
Mashed garlic – 4
Curry leaves – few
THIS RECIPE WAS PASSED ON TO ME BY MY MOTHER.
- Wash moong dal and keep it aside. Boil moong dal in a kadai with onion cubes, green chillies and 2 cups of water.
- Cover and boil till the dal is 3/4 done. Then add anabakaya mukkalu.
- Don’t mix. Keep covered and on low flame till the anabakaya mukkalu are cooked.
- Remove the lid and add turmeric powder, salt and red chilli powder.
- Add 1 cup of water and mix well and boil for 2 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat ghee and oil in a pan. Add mustard seeds and let them splutter. Then, add all the remaning ingredients one by one.
- Fry for few seconds and pour the cooked dal over talimpu.
- Mix well and boil for 2 minutes . Adjust seasonings. Dal should be semi liquid. If dal is too thick, add some more water.