Split urad dal – 1cup [ with skin or with out skin]
Rice rawa – 2 cups
Salt to taste
Small coconut pieces – 1/4 cup optional
Ghee and oil for frying
Water – 1to 2 cups
- Wash and soak urad dal and rice rawa separately for 6 hours. Just before grinding wash again.
- When washing urad dal, the skin will separate. It’s upto you if you want to retain the skin or not.
- Grind urad dal with 1 to 11/2 cup of water to a smooth batter like idly batter.
- Add rice rava to the urad dal batter after squeezing out the water. Add salt and mix well.
- If you like coconut, you can add small coconut pieces and mix well. Keep it aside for 1 hour.
- Heat 3 to 4 tsp of oil and ghee in a kadai. When oil is hot, reduce heat to low and add a bowl full of batter.
- Cook covered on low heat for 5 to 6 minutes. Once it starts leaving the sides of the kadai, flip it over to the other side.
- Cook for another 5 to 6 minutes without covering the pan. Once done, remove from the pan.
- Cut into wedges, and serve hot with cheruku panakam.