Senagapappu [chana dal]- 1/2 cup (soak for 1/2 an hour and cook with 2 cups of water.)
Onion – 2 medium size cut into 2 pieces
Green chillies – 4 slit
Finely chopped ginger – 1 1/2 tsp [mashed]
Turmeric powder – 1/4 tsp
Red chilli powder – 2 tsp
Jaggery – 1/3 cup [ adjust according to your taste ]
Tamarind juice – 3 to 4 tbsp [semi thick juice]
Water – 2 cups
Salt – 1 1/2 tsp
Oil – 2tsp
Mustard seeds – 1/4 tsp
Fenugreek seeds – 1/4 tsp
Cumin seeds – 1/2 tsp
Dry red chilli pieces – 4
Garlic – 4 mashed
Curry leaves – few
*This recipe was handed over to me by my Mother-in-Law.
- Boil the soaked senagapappu with 2 cups of water in a pressure cooker for 8 minutes.
- When the pressure releases mash it to a coarse paste.
- Add 2 cups of water, onions, green chillies, turmeric powder, red chilli powder, mashed ginger, salt, tamarind juice and jaggery.
- Mix well and pressure cook for 2 to 3 whistles. Switch off the flame and let the pressure release.
- Heat oil in a kadai. Add mustard seeds and let them splutter and add all the remaning ingredients one by one.
- Fry for few seconds and add the cooked pulusu over the talimpu.
- Mix well and bring it to boil. Adjust the seasoning and cook on medium flame for 5 to 6 minutes.