Senaga pappu [ chana dal ] – 1/2 cup soaked for 3 to 4 hours
Onion – 1 medium size cut into cubes
Green chillies – 3 slit
Turmeric powder – 1/4 tsp
Salt – 1 tsp
Water – 2 cups
Freshly grated coconut- 1cup loosely packed
Ghee – 1tbsp
Oil – 1tsp
Mustard seeds – 1/2 tsp
Cumin seeds – 1/2 tsp
Garlic – 4 mashed
Dry red chillies – 4
Curry leaves – few
- Cook the dal with 2 cups of water till it turns soft but not mushy. Strain the dal and keep it aside.
- Heat oil and ghee in a pan and add mustard seeds. Let them splutter.
- Add all the remaning ingredients one by one. Fry for few seconds and add onions and green chillies.
- Add turmeric powder and salt. Fry till the onions turns transparent.
- Add strained dal and fry on medium flame for 5 to 6 minutes.
- Then add freshly grated coconut and fry for 4 to 5 minutes.
- Serve with rice and rasam.