Senaga pappu- 1/2 cup soaked for two hours
Water – 3 cups
Salt – 1tsp
Finely chopped onions- 2 cups loosely packed
Green chillies – 4 slit
Milk – 3/4 cup
Clove powder – a pinch
Turmeric powder – 1/2tsp
Oil – 1/3cup
Cumin seeds – 1/2tsp
Garlic – 4 mashed
Dry red chillies – 4 pieces
Curry leaves – few
- Boil soaked chana dal with 3 cups of water. Dal should be soft and not mushy.
- Drain and keep it aside. Heat oil in a pan and add cumin seeds.
- Add all the remaning ingredients one by one and fry for few seconds.
- Add finely chopped onions, green chillies, salt, and turmeric powder.
- Cover and cook on low flame till the onions becomes translucent.
- Mix in intervals. Add drained chana dal and cover and cook on low flame.
- Cook for 6 to 7 minutes and add a pinch of clove powder and mix well.
- Reduce flame to high flame and add 3/4 cup milk. Continuously mix well otherwise the milk will curdle.
- Cook till the milk evaporates and the oil in the curry floats on sides.
- Switch off the flame. Serve with rice.