Allam [ginger]- 1/3 cup peeled and cut into chunks
Green chillies – 17 to 20 cut into 2 pieces [ adjust to your spice level ]
Roasted chana dal – 3/4 cup
Cumin seeds – 1/2 tsp
Coriander seeds – 2 tbsp
Curry leaves – 1/3 cup loosely packed
Mashed garlic – 8 cloves
Jaggery – 1/3 cup
Oil – 2 tbsp
Salt to taste
Tamarind – small lemon size
Water – 3/4 cup to 1 cup for grinding
This recipe was given to me by my househelp – Bhavani
- Heat oil in a pan and add allam [ginger] pieces and cumin seeds .Fry on medium flame for 3 minutes.
- Then, add coriander seeds and fry for 1 minute. Add mashed garlic.
- Fry on low flame for 1 minute. Add green chillies and curry leaves. Fry for 3 to 4 minutes and add roasted chana dal.
- Fry on low flame for 3 to 4 minutes. Switch off the flame and cool it. Transfer it to the grinder jar.
- Add salt, jaggery and tamarind. Grind it to a paste using water.
- Adjust seasoning. Adjust water for grinding according to the consistency you prefer