Rice – 1/2 cup
Moong dal – 1 1/2 tbsp
Water – 2 cup
Salt – 1/2 tsp
Cow ghee – 3 tbsp
Cumin seeds – 1/2 seeds
Black pepper – 1/2 tsp coarsely powdered
Dhanur masam is considered the month of bhakthi. Offering of pongal as naivedya is the most sacred offer for Lord Vishnu. Basil is one more thing that is more important and auspicious to offer to god.
- Heat a pan and add moong dal. Dry roast it till they are slightly golden brown colour.
- Cool it . Wash rice and dal twice and drain it .
- Heat ghee in a pressure cooker. Add cumin seeds and coarsely grounded black pepper. Fry on low flame till the pepper starts to burst.
- Then add asafoetida, curry leaves and fry for 10 seconds.
- Add washed moong dal and rice. Mix well. Add salt and 2 cups of water. Pressure cook on high flame till the first whistle .
- Then cook on low flame for 6 to 7 minutes. Switch off the flame.
- Allow the pressure to release on its own and then open the cooker.
- Mix well and offer as naivedyam to god.